The Family History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador was formed for the purpose of promoting interest in, and facilitating family history research in Newfoundland and Labrador. To perform this task FHSNL incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation in 1984. Our aim is to provide members with the latest information regarding genealogical research in the province. FHSNL holds regular meeting and publishes a quarterly journal called The Newfoundland Ancestor. This is the means of bringing news of society activities and events to the membership. It also includes articles submitted by members, excerpts from old records, book reviews, Newfoundland strays, and a research interest column consisting of members' surname interests.
The further objectves of the society are:
- To enhance the collections and preserve records of the Society.
- To index records, whether from our collections or other sources, for the benefit of the membership and the public.
- To enter into any engagement with the federal, provincial, or municipal governments that may be conducive to the attainment of the objectives of the Family History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- To raise funds, solicit and obtain grants, subscriptions, donations, and loans from the state, corporations, councils, associations, firms and persons for the furtherance of these objectives.
- To formulate rules and regulations - as they are needed - to ensure the uniformity of policy and procedure.
- To establish, promote, or assist in establishing or promoting, and to subscribe to any other association whose objectives are either wholly or in part similar similar to the objectives of this society.